Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nine Days Until Christmas!

Good Sunday evening, everyone!
 
Can you believe, nine days until Christmas?
 
I was going to be such a good blogger this month, but it just didn't happen...
 
And, if you've left me a comment and I haven't responded, I apologize! ~
 
Crazy busy, here at my house...
 
~
Photobucket
~

I sold my little Fairy House

 and shipped Ellie's ornament to Lulu in England...

I wish I could have crawled in the box and gone there, too!

But then there wouldn't be anyone to get all these projects finished...

~

I have packing and shipping supplies all over the house...

Here, the kitties decided that they liked the rustle-y tissue paper...

Not the best photo, but Leo and Tallulah seldom lie so closely together...

"Like hens", we say.

~
Photobucket
~

Mr. B cut some more gourd "roofs" for me...

One of the gourds was originally going to be a birdhouse,

with the hole already cut.

It had been out on the patio since early spring, when I was working

on the first Fairy House.

~

I brought it inside earlier this week so I could mark the roofline to be cut.

It was inside for a couple of days before it was cut.

Afterward, Mr. B brought it in for me to see...

A black widow spider was nested up in the top of the gourd!!

Horrors!!...She could have decided to come out and look for prey...

(Shudder....)

I won't be bringing anything else inside that anything could be hiding in...

I can just imagine her coming out on me

 when I had the gourd on my lap, marking it!
~

We have lots of fields and a lot of construction nearby...

and LOTS of black widows...

Last summer, we counted 25 in the outdoor basement escape/window well...

They were outside, but just on the other side of the glass!

I'd only seen a few in my entire life, until we moved out here...

I don't know what it is that they are attracted to...

Maybe it was their territory to begin with and humans are the intruders!

~
Photobucket
~

Okay, here are the spider-free future Fairy Houses...;^)

I'm experimenting with using Creative Paper-Clay to make little dormers.

~
Photobucket
~

Here, I've painted the bases with an ochre-colored acrylic I mixed

to closely match the natural gourd color,

to help seal them and cover imperfections.

Then, I dry-brushed them with some metallic acrylic,

for a little more glimmer...

~
Photobucket
~

This is my very favorite metallic acrylic and my favorite color,

too ~ Lumiere Metallic Bronze.

Actually just more of a deeper, richer gold than it is "bronze";

I use it in place of "gold" often.

Love it!

~
Photobucket
~

Finally, I'm actually going to attempt to replicate

something I really loved on Pinterest.

This chair has been in our family for years and years...

It belonged to my Great Aunt Anna.

It was in such rough shape, with thick, bubbled varnish...

then it was in the fire...

I think it's actually just rough enough to be en vogue, now!

Here I am painting the undercoat in that rosy-grey color I'm fond of,

(Can you believe it is warm enough to spray-paint outside?)

Then I'm going to give it a light coat of white and sand it down.

The Pinterest photo showed a small antique birdcage on the seat,

filled with vintage pink ornaments.

 (I'll show that photo later.)

After looking on eBay and seeing how expensive

actual antique brass wire birdcages are

(and mentally putting the whole idea on a back burner...)

I just happened to go past a display of them in Hobby Lobby

and all metal decor was 50% off!

There were fancy ones, but I picked one that looked the most like the

vintage ones, pretty simple.

I'm also going to put "dark" silver ornaments in it, sort of a pewter color.

I love the pink, but thought these would go better with the rest of my things.

More on this in a couple of days...

I will try to finsh it in my free time! :^)

Have a wonderful week, all!

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. I can't imagine seeing a black widow. How scary! I am glad you were able to see it before you had it in your lap! Your little houses are to be gorgeous!
    I can't wait to see what you do with your chair-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful cats!

    I haven't had time to think of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Christmas is almost here. We only just put our tree up today! I would have run a mile and tossed out the gourd and its black widow resident! Your cats are so lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Sally loves tissue paper, sleeping in plastic bags and comes running to play in the sheets when I'm changing the bed linens....kitties can be so silly :)

    Those fairy houses will be delightful....and better now that they are spider free...haha!

    Looks like you've been keeping yourself busy. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you really latched onto a good idea with those fairy houses. It would be so simple to make each one just a little different. I would love to know how much it sold for , that way i would know if i can even dream of owning one...LOL! Thanks so much for showing us some step by steps!
    Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely banner photo of your blog! Two lovely things: a beautiful furry face and a Remington. You know, the last typing machine is produced in UK one month ago. The end of an era. I'm very sad about loosing this kind of things. Kisses to your cats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww the little houses are so cute..
    sweet cats :)
    love cucki x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy time of year. Good for you selling all your gourd ornaments! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anne - not a black widow spider- my gosh that is a scary thing. Glad your fairy house sold - I am lol about your kitties...mine too get in the mix or mess of things. They like to climb in boxes and roll wrapping paper around and scatter bows...bad boys! Have a blessed day my friend xo Pix

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black widow spiders!!! YIKES!!!! You are a brave lass. Your elf houses are going to be wonderful!!!
    Enjoy!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, Spiders do not normally scare me, but black widows are a different story. Black widows...brown recluse both scary. I can't wait to see the new fairy homes. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time goes by quickly when you are happy and creating...glad the spider did not find you tempting to bite on. eek. :( Your cats are beautiful....♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your houses are coming right along, love the look. I sure don't want to see spiders, not too fond of them. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a busy Creative Gal you've been! Yes, I always have to do a Black Widow Patrol of anything I've had outside for more than a minute and a half. Welcome back to Blogland and Merry Christmas from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to send along some wishes for a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    Love your header!

    Hugs,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!