Monday, December 3, 2012

A Gourd Santa & A Work in Progress...

Good Monday evening, everyone!
 
I thought I'd share with you some things I'm working on today...
 
Photobucket
~
Here is my Woodland Santa, one of my "Gourdfolk" characters...
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
He's painted in acrylics on a dried gourd...he's a pretty big fellow ~ 18" tall.

I used to paint lots and lots of gourds, and had forgotten how much

fun it is! He'll be going in my Etsy shop in a couple of days...
~
Photobucket
~
This is new for me!

This gourd was originally going to be a bird house,

until I decided to make a Santa...(I'm really glad it has the hole, though, as I was able

to add some sand to make him sit just right...there will be more beard covering it).

The face and beard on this fellow will be sculpted with Creative Paperclay,

an air-dry papier mache product. This is my first time using it, so wish me luck!

I haven't really done any papier-mache-ing since 5th grade, when I made a very strange looking

skunk with strips of paste-soaked newspaper over a big glass ketchup bottle (remember those?)

topped with a light-bulb for a head...

I hope this turns out better...

However, my Mom kept that skunk for years...♥

Check back tomorrow for Santa's progress!

~
Photobucket
~
(Not quite ready for his close-up!)

Have a great Tuesday, all!

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Oh my! You are very talented! I love your Santies and the one with the created face is amazing!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute. I have two hand painted Santa gourds, too. I think I should do a post on them after seeing yours- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww they are so sweet..I love them..
    Hugs cucki x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne: The painted santa gourd is so cute. I have to say I love the expression on the Santa with the hole. Very good idea about the hole and sand. Can't wait to see him complete..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic! I really like the painting, it has a vintage look about it, making it very appealing. I look forward to seeing the other one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative . . . really enjoyed seeing your artistic talent . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love the Santa Gourd. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anne - Your santas are precious. Can't wait to see your last one finished. You always amaze me - I bet you never sleep! Take care my dear friend and have a wonderful day creating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the most amazing craftwoman! I can't wait to see how the new santa turns out ... I can't imagine he won't be super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! My mom painted some gourds that we grew at our house. It is amazing what you can do with those things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I really can't wait to see more! I do have a question, anytime I try to keep gourds, they mold. Do you have a special way of storing them? And how long does it take for them to dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I wanted to reply to you here in case anyone else wondered - I know what you mean, most of the decorative gourds you buy will mold (I have had some success in the past with drying the little crook-necked ones in the oven, however, like the okra). The gourds that I paint have been drying outside in the elements for a full year; if you look back at my post about Pumpkin Hollow (back in October), you can see them all piled up on pallets. We tried growing a few in the garden this year, but I prefer going to a grower where I can look through hundreds for just the right size and shape!

      Delete
    2. Also, this type of gourd is a "hard shell" variety (actually called Birdhouse Gourd) unlike the colorful little gourds you see in the stores.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. I love the santa gourd! How cool is that!! what a wonderful talent you have for painting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to say I moved my blog to
    thisweetlandfarm.blogspot.com hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such amazing brush control and a steady hand....you are my daily dose of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the gourd Santa! You are very creative. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!